Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Birthday Post


Well, today’s the day. Big birthday number 24. One foot in the grave. The last year that I can have ONE box of standard birthday candles on my cake where each represents ONE year. 

I spent the day trying to feel younger, or at least imagine I grow up to be as eternally youthful as Heidi Klum, who shares my birthday.

Fortunately, I live at home, which makes feeling younger much easier. Nothing makes you feel more like a child than having your mom pack your lunch in the morning, and my mom does! Around 10 am at work I went to the refrigerator to find a snack and when I opened my lunchbox, I found a little surprise. 

It was one of those foil-wrapped balloon weights that are usually popular at New Year’s parties. I wasn’t really sure what to do with it- no one at work had particularly acknowledged that it was my birthday. It seemed kind of silly to take my balloon weight (with no balloons) out of my lunchbox and set it on my desk for no particular reason. So I put it back in the refrigerator, which seemed like the only logical choice.
Foil-wrapped balloon weight

Later that evening I met up with my girlfriends at a restaurant downtown, enticed by the promise of party hats, which we all wore. People at the restaurant looked at us strangely, but let it go.

If there is one thing I love, it’s party hats. I can’t think of one thing that doesn’t look hilarious in one. Last year my ex-boyfriend texted me a picture of a dog in a party hat for my birthday. This year he sent me one of two chinchillas in party hats. I will say this for him: he definitely knows me well!

 One of my good friends got me a “Spinster Starter Kit” which included a bottle of wine shaped like a cat, a package of Easy-Mac, the fourth season of 30 Rock, and the latest book by Tina Fey. (Liz Lemon IS my idol.) I don’t think I could have asked for more! It was a great birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment