Thursday, May 19, 2011

Dental Conspiracy?

I’m always a little skeptical of the dentist. I used to go to a nice guy who was pretty gentle when I was on my parents’ insurance, but now that I have my own insurance, I have to see someone else that I can afford. She’s also a nice person, I guess, but every time I’ve gone in to see her, I’ve had a minimum of 2 cavities.
I’ve never had a cavity until I was 15- now I’ve had like 6.
My skepticism comes from this: How do I know if I really need to get a filling? My teeth feel normal, everything looks fine to the untrained eye, and I am a freak about dental hygiene… I am completely reliant on the dentist to tell me if I need one and I always go with her recommendation. The good news is I’ll be out of teeth for her to fill pretty soon and we’ll just have to start having standard cleanings again. I’m starting to think that she’s just “finding” them to punish me for making appointments at 5 pm.

Standard cleanings are also worst than I remember though, and I think this may be because my new dentist is one I would classify as an “aggressive cleaner.” Her methods for extracting tartar build up are probably the same methods used by archaeologists in excavating dinosaur bones. Enamel comes off.
After she was done flossing and notifying me of all the fun we’ll be having in our next appointment (2 cavities and 2 that COULD become a problem) her hygienist came in to take care of the routine stuff.
“Is mint toothpaste okay with you?”
(I was unaware that there were any other flavors of toothpaste available besides mint.)
“I’ll take whatever you’ve got- it all tastes like blood right now,” I said.
I think now I finally understand why people fear going to the dentist.

No comments:

Post a Comment