Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Hamper of Social Justice.


I’ve decided to really commit to living in NY. That’s right. Buying STUFF. I’ve started with a hamper. I had skipped work on Tuesday and I decided not to make my “sick” day a total waste. So I boarded a subway, headed to Target and spent 45 minutes selecting the hamper of my dreams. It ended up being only about $10. However, upon exiting Target, I encountered a lesbian activist on the street with a clipboard. This is generally the type of person I go out of my way to avoid, lest they stir up my guilt even more than what I was already experiencing for skipping work when I was, in fact, not actually sick. 

My first piece of "furniture" in NY.
But she got me.  20 minutes later, I am filling in my credit card information, agreeing to pay $8 a month to support gay rights. So now my $10 hamper is going to be more like a $100 hamper. Although I will be receiving a quarterly issue of “Equality” magazine, which I expect I might enjoy reading while waiting for my laundry. So it ends up being a package deal.

I had skipped work because I’d gone on a date the night before with a guy I’d met on Cinco De Mayo. He described himself as “unemployed” although I think it might be more accurate to say “freelance blogger.” (He actually has a subject to blog about, and, even more impressive, people who subscribe to it.) I thought his confidence and unconventionality were attractive traits, plus he’d actually CALLED (instead of texted) to ask me out. I figure if you actually call, I’ll probably say “yes” to any request just to reward the good behavior. Old school dating tactics still work, Gentlemen. 

We stayed way too late, but had fun, and we are going out again tonight. Clearly this is a better choice than UDG, who seems to have no idea what the purpose of his phone is.

No comments:

Post a Comment