Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Importance of Reading ALL the Directions



I have a cold.

Usually, I would take the normal person’s route of simply lying in bed, sleeping, drinking water and eating chicken soup. 

But this week I learned about fire cider, an immediate cure for the common cold.

My boss swears by it, so I thought “well, it’s natural. It’s probably not going to hurt anything.” Apparently it is available at Whole Foods and the like (of which there is none in Bed-Stuy. I live in the capital of fried chicken and pizza distribution.) Given this inconvenience, I thought I might make my own.

What I was SUPPOSED to do.
Google’s recipe for fire cider, according the website I went to:
  • 1.5 oz cayenne pepper
  • 1.5 oz ancho pepper
  • 1.5 oz ginger powder
  • 1.5 oz onion powder
  • Half a head of peeled garlic cloves
  • 2 inches of ginger root, sliced
  • Enough organic apple cider vinegar to fill quart jar.
Given my cooking abilities, I obviously didn’t have half that shit. So I thought I would substitute- put a bunch of spicy stuff together, and drink it. 

My recipe, as it was just consumed: 
  •  1 clove of garlic, minced 
  •  1 tsp of cayenne pepper
  •  A few dashes of Sriracha 
  • Pinch of oregano 
  • Fill the rest of shot glass with apple cider vinegar 
  • Drink concoction.
 Unfortunately, I didn’t read the rest of the directions from Google’s recipe until after I had already consumed mine:
“Put all of these ingredients in a quart jar, shake vigorously, and let sit (brewing) for 2 weeks. Take 1-2 teaspoons in some water. Chase with milk to kill the burn.”

…Brew for 2 weeks? Take 1 TEASPOON?! 

I took this about 10 minutes ago and I definitely feel 10X worse. Intestines on fire, nose still running. Next time I’m just going to make the journey to a health food store. Or stick to chicken soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment