Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fashion Flashback



Since it’s fashion week in NY, I guess I’ll do a “fashion” post. Obviously, it will not be instructional in anything except possibly what not to wear. 

Hipster Ariel.
Today I saw a girl walking through the Court Square subway stop wearing a shirt that reminded me of myself, circa 2001-2005. It had a picture of a group of nuns on it that said “All the Single Ladies.” I would guess, had “Single Ladies” been written when I was in highschool, I probably would have worn a shirt like that. I always wore shirts that had what I thought were funny/ironic slogans. I had one that said “I think, therefore, I’m single.” (Shockingly, this did not cause a line of eligible bachelors to form at my door on Friday nights). I had another one that said “Club sandwiches, not seals” and had a picture of a sandwich on it. (I suppose the most funny/ironic part of that shirt was that I bought it at Abercrombie & Fitch- not one of the most animal-rights activist companies out there, to my knowledge.) I even had one that said “One Night Stand” and had a picture of a nightstand on it. (This was my mom’s least favorite shirt that I ever owned, and again, the irony is not as much in the double entendre, but more in that I’m pretty sure I was still a virgin while wearing it.)

Although I’m scarcely doing any better with wardrobe items now, (see post from May 11 where I discuss the problems of wearing confidence-building sweater-pants) I do own a couple of nice pieces. This is mainly due to my sister, who is probably waiting for my wardrobe to become a tax write off as a charity case. Last Christmas, for example, she bought me a beautiful Kate Spade purse. It’s black, leather, basic. Sort of a nice way to ease into fashion gradually, since, for the most part, $300 bags don’t go with $6 shoes from Rite Aid.  

However, my purse is also serving dual functionality as my lunchbox for work from time to time. I don’t do it to be defiant - it’s just practical. I’m sure that no one would guess that this morning’s purse contents also included a meatloaf sandwich held together by a rubber band. But fashion is all a business of illusion anyway... right? And I have the sassiest lunchbox in NYC!

No comments:

Post a Comment