Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cities I might live in (continued)

Option 2: Los Angeles. It’s true; I’ve only been to the airport and I think it is my own personal hell, but how much of a balanced sample can LAX really provide? One of the major appeals of LA is that my sister currently lives there, thus meaning I would already be able to have a place to crash while looking for work, housing, or whatever. The weather is also nice (maybe a little TOO nice) and it is on the West Coast, therefore the most practical move from my current location. Out of the cities I’m interested in moving to, Los Angeles would be the least difficult transition.

I was getting myself pretty psyched about it for a while, but had dinner with family friends last night from LA. Their statements were things like :
“ I live seven miles from where I work and it takes me an hour and a half, one way.”

“I worked for this woman who was an absolute witch! She always screamed at her kids, made me use my own car to get them around, and never reimbursed me for gas. You can’t say anything though because you never know who-knows-who in Hollywood and you don’t want to blow your connections.”

“Basically living in Los Angeles is just having to deal with constantly over-inflated egos and diva behavior.”
Lovely. Sounds like an urban paradise.

Now, while I’m sure that their experience is more on par with what I’ll be facing given that I would be starting at square one, I am taking it with a grain of salt. Both of my friends had gone down to LA to become actors, and I feel that they are harboring some bitter feelings of resentment towards the city as they have been there for three years and not yet found their “break.” One such statement made was “LA is for film and models; New York is for actors.” Even better news for me, because I have heard periodically that I could be a model, but no one has ever told me that I would make a good actor. In fact, yesterday's review proves otherwise!

Also, I am armed with new (lower) expectations for the city, so if ANYTHING goes my way, it will be drastically better than what I anticipate.

I guess there’s no way to tell what will happen though- my boyfriend had the exact opposite experience with LA. He went down on a vacation after high-school, played and instrument on a street corner to earn some money on his trip, and went home with a demo tape and a record contract, later moving to Nashville. Sometimes things just work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment