Friday, January 7, 2011

Cities I might live in (the final thoughts)

Presently the scenario is as such: freezing in my office, contemplating the difficulties of moving to New York City. Financially, it will be a strain, but with proper planning, why couldn’t I do it? People move across the country to the Big Apple all the time. In the wisdom of Jay-Z, “If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.”
But CAN I make it? What will I DO in NYC? The primary appeal of moving to somewhere that will undoubtedly be even more frigid than this office is the New York lifestyle- glamour, Broadway, living life in the fast lane sort of thing. Basically a change of scenery. While everyone-who-is-anyone is going to be inside, making tabloids in the club, I will either be a.) waiting in sub-freezing weather outside the club because I am not on the guest list or, more likely, b.) working late to pay the bills in my early 19th century apartment building that smells like urine and costs more than half of my paycheck.  
I could be ready, I think, in a few months. I’ve visited New York twice in the last two years and absolutely love it. The city that never sleeps is EXACTLY the kind of place I find welcoming. I love the efficient subway system and enormous skyscrapers at the end of Manhattan that end where the coast begins. Every restaurant has the best food in town. There has got to be a logical explanation for more people living in New York City than in any other city in America, and I think I know what it is. It’s because New York City is the best place to be.
I guess my main concern about moving anywhere is not wanting to be doing the same thing I’m doing now- some boring dead-end job where I live for my weekends- and having no friends to hang out with after work. I know you can MAKE new ones, but it is certainly a lot easier to do so in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment