Monday, January 10, 2011

Thy body is a temple…


I realize I have been addressing all of the career-related goals of 2011 and none of the others. I have a court date this week about my latest traffic violation (which is from 2010, by the way, so it doesn’t count as having received the ticket this year). I’ve also recently joined a gym, so working out is on the up.

Actually, I had a wonderfully awkward experience of joining my boyfriend’s mother in a workout session at her church. Basically it entails an eclectic group of 7 or 8 older women performing a relatively intense workout to worship music in one of the upstairs Sunday School rooms. This experience immediately brought to my attention three things I realized about my own working out.
  1. Typically my workouts are running to club/techno followed by weight-lifting to misogynistic rap tunes. This would be a first for me and God bonding through sweat.
  2. I noticed that when I am really pushing it, profanity tends to escape my mouth. This is not something that I usually notice or care about, but was definitely the last thing I wanted when partnering up with my boyfriend’s intensely religious mother.
  3. I am really out of shape.
Our workout sounded something like this:
Work-out music: “ And we praaaaaise Him…”
Me: “Oh my God..ness! Goodness this is intense!”
Work-out music: “For He is Holy…”
Me: *panting * “What the fuh….ge!”
Work-out music: “Oooohhh Jeeeeesus!”
Me: “Christ!”
Boyfriend’s Mom: “See? This is no girly-workout!”
Me: *Dry-heaving*

The woman is 65 years old and can kick my ass in work-out class! I’ve just spent the last week waddling around my office to and from the fax machine and coordinating all my printing at once to minimize the amount of times I will have to engage leg muscles to leave my chair. However, I think I will probably continue to go to this workout class because it is good exercise and it is free. It fills me with the Holy Spirit, which feels like a cardiac arrest.

No comments:

Post a Comment